Assistant Directing Opportunity
The JMK Trust in partnership with Northern Stage is offering an Assistant Director Bursary to a young director based in the North East of England. The bursary is an arts scholarship, funded by the Leverhulme Trust that will provide a learning and training opportunity for a talented emerging director, based in the North East of England who has demonstrated a commitment to directing and a passion for theatre making. The recipient will become a Leverhulme Arts Scholar.
We are looking for an assistant director for Northern Stage's upcoming production of Alice in Wonderland, directed by Mark Calvert. The show is Theresa Heskin’s adaptation of Lewis Carroll’s famous children’s book. It will be Northern Stage’s Christmas offering and will be performed in the epic space at Northern Stage.
The Creative Team is
Director: Mark Calvert
Designer: Rhys Jarman
Musical Director: Jeremy Bradfield
Lighting Designer: Colin Grenfell
Movement Director: Martin Hylton
Sound Designer: Nick John Williams
The assistant director will need to be available for:
Casting Workshop day in July 2017 – Date to be arranged
Rehearsals from 23rd October 2017
Technical from 20th November 2017
First preview 25th November 2017
Press: 30th November 2017
Closes: 6th January
As Assistant Director, your duties would include:
- To provide general assistance to the Director.
- As agreed with the Director, to carry out any research that will inform and benefit the production.
- To observe rehearsals and have input in discussions and production meetings.
- To assist the company in documenting the rehearsal process for the purposes of marketing, archiving and evaluating the project through blogs, social media and other forms as agreed.
- To observe and assist the Director in the production week as required.
- To attend and participate in post-show discussions by mutual agreement with the Producer.
- To support the company whilst the play is in performance as agreed with the Director and Stage Manager, including attending and noting the production.
- Any further duties as required by the Director.
The bursary recipient will demonstrate a commitment to living and making theatre in the North East area and will also be or become a participant of the JMK & Northern Stage’s Directors’ Group and as part of the bursary will also be responsible for working with the JMK Artistic Coordinator, and Northern Stage to support and facilitate the group until next year’s bursary recipient is chosen.
The Leverhulme Bursary consists of £2,350.
How to apply
Please send a CV and covering letter to Mark Calvert firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm 7th July 2017.
Please put Alice Assistant Director Application as the subject of your email.
- Why you are interested in working with Mark Calvert on this production at Northern Stage.
- Your relevant experience and what you can bring to the role
- How this assisting opportunity and involvement in the Northern Stage/JMK Trust Directors’ group will contribute to your professional development
- Your commitment to living and making theatre in the North East of England.
Interviews will be held during week commening 24th July – date tbc.
If you have any questions please contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Published on 20/06/2017 14:41:42